Friday, June 20, 2014

Overnight Oats & ZOATS??

So I happened upon the wonderful world of overnight oats the other day... They are absolutely FABULOUS!!! I felt like I was eating a healthy blizzard...It was that amazing. Here's an instructional video:


So then, in my Instagram travels, I read about ZOATS... "What the heck are zoats?", you might ask (if you were like me, and didn't have a clue).  Zoats are oats (oatmeal) cooked in combination with shredded zucchini to give you a fuller meal without breaking the calorie/carb bank with all of those oats! You can also add egg whites (zeggs, get it?) Here's a link describing how to cook egg whites into your oats...from the fabulous, fitgirlfuel (whom I found thanks to the lovely & inspirational Ashley)

So I decided to try making a breakfast trifecta...overnight zoats/zeggs. I decided to try to make an apple pie pancake flavor... So here's what I came up with:
*Cook 1/3 rolled oats in 1 cup water. I turned the heat down to medium after adding the oats.
*A couple minutes in add 1/2 C shredded zucchini & grated 1 apple.
*Cook for a while until everything is soft & mushy. 
*Add 1 TBSP cinnamon & stevia to taste (I think I added about 2 tsp of baking stevia)
*Add 1/3 C egg whites (I got 1L at Superstore for $3.99!) & stir constantly (otherwise you'll end up with scrambled eggs in you zoats!) until everything is nice & fluffy. 
*I then added 1/2 scoop of vanilla ice cream protein powder, 2 TBSP walnut pieces, some sugar free maple syrup taste syrup & a little unsweetened almond milk. 
* I stirred well & put the mixture into a container to refrigerate overnight. 

It smelled amazing & I can't wait to try it tomorrow! I'll post pics & my opinion of the results tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me be motivated with your thoughts here: