Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Husband Tries CrossFit

So Alex loves going to the gym...let me correct that...Alex loves going to HIS gym...He has his routine that he does (chest day, leg day, etc)...your standard gym rat type thing. (Don't worry, he never reads this blog so there's no way he'll get offended) I've been wanting him to try CrossFit for a long time now & yesterday, he finally conceded!

He was supposed to go to Edmonton in the afternoon, so I went to bootcamp in the morning.  Then he decided he would go Edmonton this morning instead & as a result went to his gym.  Part way through him being there I decided I would go to the 4:30 CrossFit...even though I knew THIS was the workout:
“Shilly Chipper”
50 Pullups
50 Pushups
50 Box Jumps with step down (24/20)
50 Shoulder to Overhead (95/65)
50 Med Ball Cleans (20/14)
50 Double Unders
50 Burpees 

I texted him, asking if he would come with me & he texted back "No way, I'm at the gym right now!"  So I replied that I had already worked out & was willing to go again, so why couldn't he?  Well... after some debate, he accepted the challenge!  Now, Alex has come with me to bootcamps before, but never CrossFit.  I told him what the workout was, but he didn't seem phased or nervous.  He even started doing push ups BEFORE the class (as I was stretching) to "warm up", he said.  One of the instructors afterwards commented on the push ups thing, saying "You knew there were push ups in the workout, right?" 

It was cute though...to see him do things his way. Regular style push ups vs. CrossFit style push ups, for example.  And pull ups... he's used to only doing strict pull ups & so it was neat to see him learn how to do beat swings & then kipping pullups. And let me tell you... he could do them & man, it was hot!

So in the workout, we worked away at each task & I could quickly tell that it was a style of working out that he wasn't used to.  He was working hard, but I was soon able to pass him in what we were doing. It gave me a little sense of pride to know that even though he's quite fit, I was able to keep up with him & even pass him, finishing before he did.  I think it was just things he wasn't used to doing. But he worked really hard & finished strong & I was so proud of him for coming with me.  I hope he'll decide to come with me again sometime & maybe even get into CrossFit instead of being a gym rat.

Love you Alex!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me be motivated with your thoughts here: